Wednesday, November 28, 2018

The Kingdom of God Is Within You

November 28, 2018

Once Jesus was asked by the Pharisees when the kingdom of God was coming, and he answered, ‘The kingdom of God is not coming with things that can be observed; nor will they say, “Look, here it is!” or “There it is!” For, in fact, the kingdom of God is within you.’ -- Luke 17:20,21 (NRSV)

All that you need, God has already provided. 

You are a visible expression of the Kingdom of God on earth as it is in heaven.

The Light is within you.

These are phrases I often use when talking to people who need a bit of encouragement. Encouragement is a big part of what I do. It's a part of the fabric of who I am as a pastor and who I am as a human being. I try to see the best in people and I try to help them see the best in themselves.

This is not accident. It is gift -- from the Holy Spirit, and it is intention. 

I believe people should believe in themselves because I believe that God believes in us. So, I set about every day to help people remember this. God created us in love. God created us in the image of God. God desires, and we also desire for God's Reign to come on earth as it is in heaven. We pray it. We believe it. We work toward it.

I do not consider that this is anything special or unique or lovely in any way. I consider it simply responding to my call to ministry among God's people. There are so many ways I fail and fall short of that calling. Encouragement and seeing God in people are deeds that I can repeat and they are a calling to which I try to be faithful. 

May God be gracious and near to all who need to hear a word of encouragement today.

Peace and Love,
Jerry

No comments:

Post a Comment