Thursday, April 30, 2009

All Things New

In Revelation, that oft-quoted and yet strangely mysterious epistle, the writer has God speak these words, "See, I am making all things new." (Rev 2.15) I understand the meaning, but, I think it practically has run up against some pretty stubborn human roadblocks in the church.

Some church people don't seem to like new.

It seems they like what they know, what they have known, "that old-time religion." After all it was good for Paul and Silas and so it's good enough for them.

Here in our town, and I suspicion it's true in most American towns, the churches that are experiencing growth among the unchurched are all about making things new. They embrace technology in worship. They use multi-media presentations rather than monologues for the message. They are leaders in website development, electronic communication and social media. In essence, they are cutting edge and they are expanding the boundaries of the Kingdom of God.

Lots of church folks eschew the new. They prefer the familiar.

This is on my mind today because I have been interviewed for a popular blog about art and religion called "Iconia." You can read the interview here: http://iconia.canonist.com/ One of the queries put to me was, "You recently joined Twitter, where you join quite a large number of ministers, priests, and pastors using social media. Why do you think Christian leaders are embracing new media at a much quicker rate than other religious leaders?"

I am on Twitter because I get a pulse on what's happening. It's cutting edge. It's new. It's a new way to reach people, just as is this blog.

God is about making all things new. I suppose stubborn humans could thwart that to some degree but I also supsect God will have God's way in the end. In the meantime, we need to reconsider why we are often so quick to eschew the new; especially if what is new brings us a new brother or sister in Christ.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete