Thursday, April 16, 2009

C and E Christians

I have been asked more than once this week what I thought about people who show up for worship only on Christmas and Easter. I say, "welcome." I am glad to see people in worship no matter the occasion. If they have a positive experience they might just be back, who knows. So, I make it a point not to make a point at the expense of C and E Christians. I am just glad they chose to be with us.

One person said this week they thought it was a little disingenuous to not show up all year and them just pop in on Easter. I told her that it was not disingenuous at all. Any decision to be in worship is a good decision, and a step in a good direction.

As I see it the onus is on the congregation to be welcoming and to offer opportunities for the nurture of faith to these who are part-time. The decision to be in worship that day might just be a precipitous moment in their lives. Who can say.

So, I say, "welcome." The door is open.

No comments:

Post a Comment