Wednesday, May 27, 2009

A Lesson Learned

There is a young woman at the church I serve who when much younger gave me a passage of scripture onto which I daily cling. When she was a child she would sing, "This is the day that the Lord has made. I will rejoice and be glad in it. This is the day that the Lord has made. I will rejoice and be glad in it. This is the day that the Lord has made."

I cling to it.

When I wake up grumpy -- "This is the day,......"
When I get a little put out with a church member -- -- "This is the day,......"
When I am sick -- "This is the day,......"
When I worry about my parents, miss them, -- "This is the day,......"
When I feel afraid, think I've lost my way, -- "This is the day,......"

It is one of the greatest gifts I have ever received. When I tell her how much it has meant to me the moment gets a little awkward, so I don't mention it very often.

However, this reminds me that too often we talk to children and don't listen to them. We can miss a lot living that way. In fact, we should endeavor to listen before we speak in all situations with children and with adults. It's a better way to be and it leads to understanding while steering clear of misunderstanding.

Anyway, I share the gift with you my loyal readers. This indeed is the day the Lord has made and no matter what comes this day let us rejoice and be glad in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment