Thursday, November 4, 2010

Patience

I was asked today, "what is your greatest ministerial challenge?" My answer? "Patience."

Earlier in the week I posted as my Facebook status, "Patience with people who threaten to disturb your inner peace amounts to listening to the gentle whisper of the holy." It drew a lot of response from people because I guess a lot of us have a problem with patience when it comes to others. Some people try us, and some people try us intentionally. They like to get us riled up.

I think that's certainly true when it comes to the pastor/parishioner relationship. I believe some people enjoy playing roast the preacher. Whatever they can do to be a burr under the saddle they will do it; and, they seem to get some pleasure out of it too.

So, yeah, patience is my greatest challenge as a pastor.

I've been accused of being too patient. One person who used to work with me would criticize me for moving too slowly, for letting church members get away with too much, for being too laissez faire. There may be some truth to that because another great challenge for me is conflict. When it's head on, I'm good, but, when it comes from the undermine and it's up to me to address it I don't get quite so motivated. But, as for being too patient, I think I have a ways to go to reach that state.

Still, I try always to take a long view. I absolutely always know where I am headed. I absolutely always have a clear goal in mind. I also realize there are many paths to the end of the trail. We can get to the goal many ways. Sometimes there are setbacks, but, I believe if I can keep moving in the direction of the ultimate goal that somehow I am going to get there and lead the people in my charge there as well.

Idyllic optimism? Maybe. Patience. Maybe a little. It's the way I try to work and co-exist and lead.

Someday I'll get there and I hope that I will have taught and learned along the way. Until then; patience and perseverance.

No comments:

Post a Comment