Thursday, September 16, 2010

Can't Stay Away from Dangling Bait

Sometimes people ask you a question or make a statement that is cryptic and veiled. They do that so that when you respond you are caught unaware or perhaps trapped into admitting something you might not otherwise reveal. It is a passive-aggressive form of communication rather than just a straightforward speaking of the mind. When lulled into one of these conversations you are often embarrassed, surprised and not often allowed to offer any deeper answer. In our sound-bite world this seems to be ever-more true. Journalists and political pundits are looking for that shocked, surprised answer or just a strange reaction so that they claim a "Youtube" moment.

I don't like being baited. But you know, I can't seem to lay off that dangling bait either. Some years ago when I was in elementary school I talked too much in class and the teacher assigned me sentences to write. What did the sentence say? "My mouth gets me in trouble when I talk too much." One of these days I will take that lesson to heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment