Friday, March 2, 2018

Lent 2018 -- Gratitude Diary, Day 17

I am grateful for good root beer and good friends in Tulsa

Yesterday I alluded to being a part of an organization that promotes local food. Back home in Tulsa, where I was born and raised, there is a local root beer stand and hamburger joint that I have lauded for quite some time. It's called Weber's Superior Root Beer. Located at 3817 S. Peoria in Tulsa's Brookside district. It's been a Tulsa staple since 1933. 


The root beer? Amazing. The hamburgers? Voted Tulsa's best.


I am truly grateful for Rick, Jennifer and Michelle Bilby. It's a family-run business and they're the family that runs it. It's been a part of their family for a couple generations. Several years ago when I started the Doctor of Ministry program at Phillips Theological Seminary in Tulsa I put Weber's on my "must visit every time I go to Tulsa," list. In that process I struck up a friendship with the Bilby's that warms my heart and has been a source of blessing for me. My brother, Richard, who still lives in Tulsa has become even closer to the Bilby family. We are very grateful for them.

Richard, Me and Michelle Bilby
Weber's reminds me of home. Like the Philbrook, the Gilcrease and Coney-I-Lander, when I think of Weber's Superior Root Beer it reminds me of home. Weber's tastes like Tulsa. The restaurant is on Peoria, which in my high school days was the drag. On Friday nights we would cruise up to the north, turn and around and cruise to the south. Far from nostalgic, Weber's is my favorite Tulsa place to go now. Between the food and the friends, it just doesn't get better. 

My Gratitude Diary runneth over with praise today for Weber's Superior Root Beer, Rick, Jennifer and Michelle.

Peace and Love,
Jerry

No comments:

Post a Comment