Monday, March 5, 2018

Lent 2018 - Gratitude Diary, Day 20

I am grateful for silence. There’s not much of it left in my life and I covet it. I hardly know where to find it.

On the sailboat alone is as close to silent as I can get. Sailboats running on the water aren’t truly silent, and there’s always someone else on the lake making noise. But it’s close to noiseless. 

When I sit outside at night in the summer I listen for the Frogs and the crickets, the love songs of Mother Nature. Not silent at all. But close. 

Silence is mostly a space I make inside me where God can move in. When I am still and non-anxious, when I am not thinking about who I should be calling or visiting or texting or what event needs to be planned, then silence widens within me and God resides there in that silent space. 

In that space I am restored; lean toward wholeness, confront my misdeeds, and flow openly into oneness with all things. The space of silence allows me to be fully me. 

Oh yes, I am grateful for silence. 

Peace and  Love,
Jerry

No comments:

Post a Comment