Sunday, June 24, 2018

An Overwhelming Day

Today was my last worship service and sermon before the sabbatical begins tomorrow. The congregation was amazing, as per usual.

I, along with Children's Ministry Coordinator, Shawna Mitchell, dedicated four babies and three sets of parents today. Parent/Child dedications always cut straight to my heart. Thanks to Charles Cotton Richtarsic for being a good sport and letting me parade him around the sanctuary today.

JoEllen Reed, our Board Chair led a tender Responsory and Blessing for me today. Communion was by intinction and I got a ton of hugs and best wishes for renewal. Plus, I got to look everyone in the eye and share with them the body and blood of our Lord, the forgiveness of sins and the communion of the saints. Touching. Good for the soul.

Following worship we had a great potluck meal, organized, ordered and directed by our Administrative Assistant, Lee Puckett. She is at the center of everything FCC does. At the potluck I got to play with the children, get loved on by the adults and open a slew of funny gifts. The gifts included a couple of joke books which is good. I'm told my material is getting stale.

I received a lot of gifts and well-wishes today. The best gift of all is the congregation giving me the opportunity for sabbath renewal. What a gift that is. I can explore. I can dive inward. I can travel. I can bring my sister home to see her parents. I can sit and think and wonder and maybe, maybe, if God is willing, I will figure out how to relax a bit. But probably not.

This season of sabbath means the world to me. And yet it has the edge of a sword. I worry over Leilani's final disposition, Graham's ongoing battle with cancer, Katherine Claire and her tiny body having to have more surgeries. I love the people whom I serve alongside. Deeply. I will miss them.

Tomorrow I will help install some graphics in the Youth Lounge and the Children, Worship and Wonder room and then I will be on sabbatical. I don't really know what that will mean yet. It's the journey that matters, I guess.

The peace of Christ be with you.
Jerry

No comments:

Post a Comment