Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Sabbatical -- Day 1, June 26, 2018

I went to Waffle House this morning. I had never been before. This is in keeping with the principle of doing something on sabbatical I have never done before.

At the Waffle House my server was Kim. She called me "sweetie" each time she spoke to me. I told her it was my very first Waffle House visit and she asked if I was pulling her leg. She was very attentive. I ordered a two-egg breakfast and added bacon. It came with grits! The coffee was good. The breakfast was better than I expected.

When I had finished, Kim stood and talked to me a while. She is a single mother of a 2 year old daughter. Her daughter goes to daycare while Kim works. She is trying to potty train her daughter because, "pull-ups are expensive." I said, "You know what's expensive? College." That got a laugh from patrons around me.

It strikes me that Kim is in an unenviable position. She loves her daughter very much. She won't make a big living at Waffle House, barely enough. But she is working. She is trying. I appreciated her kindness today.

All the people in the Waffle House seemed pretty happy. They got great service. People smiled. I hope I get to see Kim again, and I hope her piano playing two year old grows up strong and healthy and happy.






1 comment:

  1. Where have you been all your life? First time at Waffle House?? You've been missing one of life's greatest pleasures. All the best.

    ReplyDelete