Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Sabbatical -- Day 2: The Saddest Day

Mr Graham Johns

Graham Johns passed away today. The news came as a shock to me. I went to see him yesterday before I left town today and I had no idea.

Graham was a member of First Christian Church and though we share a last name we are of no relation -- but we delighted in calling each other, "cousin." Graham grew up in Maysville and Winchester. He didn't have a great home life growing up. He went to college, got an accounting degree and made a wonderful career at East Kentucky Power. He was involved in Winchester leadership. He was on the Board of Hospice East. He was chair of Downtown Winchester. He was active in politics. He was the voice of the George Rogers Clark Cardinals on the radio. There's no replacing him there.

At church he sang in the choir. He was a Deacon, then an Elder. He was on the Board. He chaired the Board and did a term as a Trustee. He possessed a booming voice. Such volume. He sang beautifully. He could act. He could preach (and very well at that). He could tell a story as well as anyone I have known. We all looked up to him. We all did. No exaggeration.

His passing leaves an enormous hole. He was a very loving husband to his wife, Lisa. His daughter, Meredith, looked up to her Dad like no other. He framed the world for her.

I am hard-pressed tonight to believe he has gone. I am in a hotel in Little Rock, AR on my way to Texas to officiate a special wedding this weekend, and there is very little I can do for the Johns family or the church from here. I do know this. First Christian Church is rising to the occasion. They love each other. They are a blessing to one another in a very special way. I am fortunate to be their pastor.

May the angels receive him. May the Lord raise him up on the last day. Peace be with you, Graham.

Peace and Love,
Jerry

No comments:

Post a Comment