Thursday, June 28, 2018

Sabbatical - Day 3, Texas

I left this morning from Little Rock and joined the big truck convoy on I-30 West. I mean trucks upon trucks upon trucks. I made it to Sachse, Texas about a quarter after noon.

On the way I talked to Lisa Johns and we decided that I would journey back to Winchester to officiate the funeral for Graham. A sabbatical is ideally supposed to excuse one from all church duties, including a funeral -- but I just can't walk away and not lead this service. Instead of heading to Tulsa on Monday I will fly to Lexington on Sunday. Then, when the service is over I will fly back to DFW to pick up my car and things and I will be in Tulsa on the afternoon of July 4, ready to greet my sister Melissa who is flying in from Oslo, Norway.

I got to spend some good time with Laura and Josh today. I picked Kelly up from the DFW. I was supposed to be there at 6pm but the traffic on 635 was unbelievable. Unbelievable. I got there at 6:15. I picked her up and we ventured back to Plano to the hotel. From there we went to Charlie and Cathy's house for a casual dinner with some of the wedding party.

The drive this morning was awful, but it's been a good day. I had a great conversation with Lisa. We praised Graham for the goodness of his life. I listened to an On Being podcast where Krista Tippett was interviewing a scholarly expert on the thoughts of Hannah Arendt, the rise of totalitarianism, and the banality of evil. Krista Tippett is pretty awesome, and listening to podcasts is a new thing for sabbatical. The interview today gave me much thought about rights, liberty and how evil gains partners. Definitely fodder for a sermon series someday. Here's a link to On Being with Krista Tippett.

Back at the hotel. Time for lights out.

Peace and Love,
Jerry

No comments:

Post a Comment