Wednesday, February 14, 2018

2018 Lenten Discipline -- Gratitude Journal

The season of Lent is upon us. This year I have decided to eschew as much sugar in my diet as I am able. There will be no carbonated beverages, no pastries, no sweet breads, no desserts. This is a serious amount of denial for me. I don't necessarily intend to eat or drink such things, but sometimes unfold in a way that those are the choices before me. For these 40 days I will look away.

I have also decided to take on a practice for Lent. Thanks to Diana Butler Bass who suggested a Gratitude Journal. Her new book, "Grateful: The Transformative Power of Giving Thanks" will be on the store shelves soon. Here is an Amazon.com link to her book.

 https://www.amazon.com/Grateful-Transformative-Power-Giving-Thanks/dp/0062659472/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1518617965&sr=8-1&keywords=gratitude+diana+butler+bass&dpID=41RTjmwF9XL&preST=_SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_&dpSrc=srch

Consequently, my first entry into the Gratitude Diary is for Diana Butler Bass. I first met Diana when she was the keynote speaker for the General Minister's Pastor's Conference in San Diego in 2010. Her presentations were timely and informative and she piqued my interest in her books like, "Christianity After Religion," and "A People's History of Christianity." Then, in 2014 I met her again when she was the keynote speaker for the Christian Church In Kentucky Regional Assembly which was held in Hopkinsville, KY. I was honored to prepare a gift basket for her and of course I included bourbon and Old Kentucky Chocolates. I was also asked to be her transport to and from the hotel. We discovered during those rides that we share a birth month and year, and our children, her daughter Emma and my son Dallas, also share a birth month and year. Our conversations over those short excursions covered a lot of ground, and in her book, "Grounded" she included a recounting of those conversations. I was so flattered to be included in her book. It makes me smile.

Diana's contributions to the study of Christianity in current America are academically sound and insightful. She is a delightful person; a proud mother, and a person of great value to our theological and spiritual conversations. So, today, I am grateful for Diana Butler Bass.

As we gather to impose ashes today may the Spirit of eternal life breathe life into our dustiness.

Peace and Love,
Jerry

No comments:

Post a Comment