Monday, February 19, 2018

Lent 2018 - Gratitude Diary, Day 6

Lent is a time of austerity and self-denial. It is a season of doing without. As such it heightens our awareness of the pleasure that we deny ourselves. So today I express my gratitude for taste buds. As I have aged I have noticed that my palate has become keener. I am more able to separate out flavors and tastes than when I was younger. Perhaps this is due to my habit of watching the Food Network and the Travel Channel. I swear Andrew Zimmern has the best job in the world.

My tastes have not changed that much over the years. What I loved as a child I still love in middle age. But I have found new foods, beverages and tastes that appeal to me. I have become more willing to try something a little outrageous. I have not been able to fully embrace Zimmern’s tag line, “If it looks good, eat it,” but I have moved a distance toward embracing a wider variety of food and beverage. More than that, I enjoy the experimentation. 

Just a couple of years ago I would not have been able to tell you why I prefer certain bourbons, but now I can separate out the flavors a bit and I’m more able to say what I prefer. Likewise, I can taste spices and separate them out more readily in foods. My palate has gotten smarter. I am grateful for that. 

Picky eater? Not me. I’ll try just about anything. Grateful this has come to be so. 

No comments:

Post a Comment