Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Lent 2018 -- Gratitude Diary, Day 8


Today I express my gratitude for the life and writing of Madeline L'Engle.

I first read "A Wrinkle in Time" when I was 11 years old and it opened up a new world of thought for me. It was 1970 and the United States had landed people on the moon the year before. Space travel was on my mind. Exploring strange new worlds was of deep, deep interest to me. How I have wanted over the course of my life to warp time/space and to boldly go where no one has gone before. It was into that context this book found me at the library of William McKinley Elementary School.

Meg and Charles Wallace were instant heroes to me. The struggle against good and evil, the unused powers of the human mind and a "tesseract" held my attention. I have never forgotten the book or even the feelings I had reading it. Life-altering is all I can say.

In the years after that I was consumed with science. I excelled in my science classes. I was interested in psychology and the search for ancient astronauts. The world of the atom and the world of interstellar space had me. And then opened the door to me for faith to walk in. It was indeed because of my love for science that a space for the discovery of the Creator was formed in me. I owe the genesis of that to Madeline L'Engle.

Years after I was ordained and serving in the church I discovered that Madeline was deeply religious. Her books were intended to stir faith. I hadn't known, but of course looking back it makes sense.

I wouldn't be the theologian I am today without Madeline L'Engle. I am grateful for her beyond my ability to express.

And if you haven't read, "A Wrinkle in Time," may I encourage you to do so.

Peace and Love,
Jerry

No comments:

Post a Comment