Saturday, August 11, 2018

Sabbatical -- Day 46: Second Wind

August 10

Today was a sailing day. Jeff and Jennifer Melton had effected repairs on their O'Day 26 after some crazy events at Sailing Camp and they were ready to launch Second Wind at Cave Run Lake. I was asked to be helper, gopher, crew. I accepted gladly.

Second Wind is a big boat to trailer. 26' and a thousand pounds of keel trunk and centerboard. Jeff has a Ford diesel truck that he pulls it with and on the highway as I drove behind them he was able to maintain a highway speed -- which surprised me.

When we arrived at Scott Creek we began the process of stepping the mast, getting everything in place, loading all the provisions for the rest of the season, etc. It took us almost three hours to get the boat ready for the water. Thank goodness it was an overcast day with a light breeze. Still, we were sweating profusely when we headed to the ramp.

By the time we made the water and Jeff and Jennifer climbed aboard with me, it was already after 2pm. My departure deadline was 4:30pm so I could meet Kelly for dinner at Malone's. It was Friday after all.

So, we set the sails quickly and went about sailing. Jeff said, "let's try the spinnaker," since the wind was in our favor. He had purchased the spinnaker in the offseason. This was its first fly. After fiddling with it for a quarter hour I turned the boat downwind and the spinnaker billowed to life.

I turned the tiller over to Jeff and took a place on the deck where I could relax.



Shortly after 4pm we headed to the dock to drop me off so I could get back. It was a good day. It's always good to spend time with Jeff and Jennifer. They are intelligent. They have lived in many places in the country, experienced a lot of life. Jeff is an engineer with a brain that amazes me. I suspect he could outMacGuyver, MacGuyver. He just can figure anything out. Amazing. Jennifer, of course, is my editor. Without her I might still be struggling to write a decent doctoral dissertation.

They helped me this spring do an overhaul on my sailboat, Tule Mor. Jeff worked tirelessly on my boat. Because he knew how to, and because he is just that kind and generous. They are both deeply spiritual people who love to explore thoughts about the divine and the world at large. They're just really good friends. I am way beyond grateful for them as people and for the help they have offered me. Help that has sometimes made all the difference for me.

Jeff and Jennifer stayed the night at the lake. Jennifer sent me these photos from their evening.

Jeff and Jennifer's anchorage for the night

My friends, Jeff and Jennifer Melton

Jeff and Jennifer -- that's the way to finish a successful day of sailing. Cheers!

Peace and Love,
Jerry

No comments:

Post a Comment