Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Sabbatical -- Day 57: Hey Mickey You're So Fine

August 21

I had a lunch date today with Dr. Chester Mickey Anders and I'm dishing details.

I traveled around Lexington this morning helping Kelly get her car to Nissan for a wellness check and oil change, then dropping her at work. Dallas was headed to London on business this morning. Yep. I actually said that. My child working. What a concept. I rushed home to help him find a tape measure and make sure his tires were properly inflated, and off he went. There is something satisfying in seeing him take on a job responsibility, take it seriously, and do work that pleases his employer. It may also be that he is setting himself in a good position with his current employer after he graduates. Whether there is a job or a strong reference, one doesn't know yet, but, there he went on his first business trip -- to London. My first business trip was a preaching gig my senior year in college at the Geuda Springs, KS United Methodist Church.

I met Mickey at Wallace Station with my gas gauge perilously low on the Mustang. Mickey was there and as we walked in he asked why I had picked Wallace Station. 

Wallace Station Restaurant. Old Frankfort Pike. Woodford County.
Warning, suckup shoutout to Ouita Michel coming.

Ouita Michel is a local chef and food entrepreneur. She has made a solid reputation for herself and her restaurants by sourcing as much local food as she can, paying attention to food sources and production, serving delicious food with good service, and making that good food accessible to people. She is a part of the community in Midway, KY and helps Midway Christian Church (Disciples of Christ). She is a thoughtful person which shows in her interviews and in her Twitter feed. She's the kind of local business person I want to support. She takes seriously the ideas of Kentucky philosopher Wendell Berry who advocates knowing the story, and origin of our food. He once said, "To be interested in food but not in food production is absurd." For these reasons I chose Wallace Station for lunch with Mickey. Also, it was a cool drive to an awesome location. I have also, on other occasions, intentionally chosen to eat at Ouita's other restaurants: Windy Corner Market, Midway Bakery, Smithtown Seafood, and Honeywood. Some day I will make it to Holly Hill Inn in Midway.

I ordered the famous Wallace Station Chicken Salad Plate. Mickey ordered a Cubano. Since we got there a bit early we got a good seat and began our visit. Soon enough the place was packed. Line stretching out the door and people taking to the seats outside even though it had rained. We talked about motorcycles. Mickey is an avid motorcyclist. Fifteen weeks ago he got hit by a deer in New Mexico and landed in the hospital with a broken clavicle and a concussion. On July 31, 1976 I was on a motorcycle with my cousin, Jeff, cruising down the access road to I-44 in Tulsa when we got hit by a Mustang. My cousin was killed. I suffered a broken clavicle and a concussion. Mickey continues to ride. I haven't been on a motorcycle since the fateful accident.

We talked about physics and faith. Mickey told me he had written a book about Time. I told him about reading Carlo Rovelli and Brian Greene. We talked about some deep subjects related to the nature of reality. What a gift this moment was.

Mickey asked about my sabbatical. Mickey has had a couple of amazing sabbaticals. I mean, amazing. He took his 22' Hunter sailboat into the Chesapeake and sailed up to Long Island Sound and into the Erie Canal, traversing the Canal to Lake Ontario and Lake Erie. He wrote a blog every day during that sabbatical -- now you know where I got the idea for this blog and its style -- and that blog turned into a book, "Radical Sabbatical." If you would like to see that book, I keep a copy close by me.


He also took a sabbatical to walk the Camino in Spain. Both of these sabbaticals were completely intentional and physically taxing. Mickey is a tad older than I and his ability to handle such physical challenges is so impressive to me, but more than that -- Mickey pays attention to life and experiences and he gleans something from them. He is wise. He is eloquent. He is probably the best friend I have ever had in ministry and I learn so much from him, I just lose words.

It has become obvious to me since the sabbatical began that I have done a poor work of cultivating local friendships outside the work of the church. I love my church. I love my church people. Outside of them, well, I have done a lousy job of making myself a friend to local people like Mickey. I intend to cultivate time with Mickey, and Kory and Rachele/Rich when the sabbatical ends. I have simply become too immersed in work and work relationships to my detriment and to the detriment of people whom I would enjoy calling friends.

Back to lunch. I had realized as we walked in to Wallace Station I had left my wallet at home. Embarrassing. Low on gas. No funds at all. Mickey graciously paid for lunch and made me take a $20 bill from him as we were leaving with a promise I would stop for gas in Midway rather than run out. Embarrassing. However, Mickey was just like a Dad with a less-than-responsible son. He just gives and loves and is always so kind and pleasant. Mickey pulled away after a great, great lunch. I feel such joy being with Mickey.

As I sat down in the Mustang to leave I noticed my wallet was in the center console. Not kidding. It was right there staring at me. Mocking me. If leather could talk I am sure it would have said one simple word to me. Goofball.

Wallet. Center Console. Photo Credit -- Goofball
Mickey, I will get that $20 back to you when I buy you lunch in a couple weeks. Let's meet at Windy Corner, eat some good Ouita Michel food, share some great conversation, and laugh at how goofy I am.

Thank you, Mickey.

Peace and Love,
Jerry

1 comment:

  1. Humbled by your shout out/ but so pleased as well that my ideas are coming across. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete