Thursday, August 30, 2018

Sabbatical -- Last Day: Home

August 29

We left Bobbi and headed south to home. Kelly was insistent that we stop in Ashland, OH at Grandpa's Cheese Barn. I was not interested at all. However, Kelly wanted to stop, so without any fussing on my part, I pulled into Grandpa's Cheese Barn in Ashland.

We were greeted before we got in the door by a happy gentleman. The place was immaculately clean on the outside. There were tables and chairs, and buildings and a pond -- all of which were placed, trimmed, arranged and maintained beautifully.

When we walked in the door a young lady smiled and welcomed us and asked if we had been there before. "No," I said, "and I didn't want to come. I am being dragged in here against my will." She laughed at me and told me where to find the meat and cheese. Upstairs. I followed Kelly up the stairs and voila, the whole world changed. I was blown away by the array of meats and cheeses, the displays -- all immaculate -- and the samples in little bowls.

Heaven, in a meat and cheese shop

Grandpa's Cheese Barn
I will be brief. There was sausage, bacon, jerky, cured meats, franks, and ribs. There was every kind of cheese known to humanity and a few more. There were pickles and crackers and salsas and jams. I tried the hottest stuff they had -- ghost pepper salsa, and it was good. This place rocks. If you go to Ashland, OH, I suggest you stop. Plan a little extra time. Did I mention that in one of the buildings they had a sweets shop? Fudge. Chocolate covered anythings. Gummies. You name it -- even candy pizzas.

I thought the whole thing was hokey. I was wrong. It was awesome. It was a great stop on the way home.

We stopped in Cincinnati at Dodd Camera to have lunch with Hal Barkan. Hal and Kelly attended the Antonelli School of Art and Photography together and have stayed friends. 16 years ago I married Hal and his wife, Michelle, in the garden on a plantation at the Isle of Palms. Hal is a wonderful man. I always enjoy seeing him. He's a talented photographer. Very talented. He is an artist. He is a creator. Working in a camera store doesn't suit him well, but sometimes you do what you must to get to the next thing.

Kelly and Hal

When we left Hal we headed on home, arriving home just before 4pm. I jumped into the shower. Headed for the First Christian Church Children and Youth Pool Party at the Winchester Country Club, and just like that the sixty days of sabbatical came to a close. 










I am grateful for this time. I am glad to be home.

Peace and Love,
Jerry

No comments:

Post a Comment