Thursday, August 16, 2018

Sabbatical -- Day 51: Steven Tyler is 70 and an Athlete

August 15

Happy Birthday to Kelly McCoy Johns. Kelly was born on Tuesday, August 15, 1961 to Lois Clark Dale McCoy and Johnny McCoy Jr. Kelly was the first of three children born to Lois and John. Kelly grew up in the house we live in now.

This morning on the Today Show Aerosmith was their Summer Concert Series guests. Kelly has long loved Aerosmith and Steven Tyler. There he was in a spandex body suit thing prancing around the stage. tossing the microphone stand, singing with his high raspy voice like he was 28 years old again. I am not a great fan of Steven Tyler and Aerosmith but I have to say that he is quite an athlete to be running and jumping on that stage like he does at the age of 70. He is 70 years old and still rocking out. I am amazed. Kelly said this morning that the Today Show brought Aerosmith on just to celebrate her birthday. Well, Happy Birthday, Kelly.

I mowed. Rain is coming. The grass has to be attended to.

After mowing, Dallas had errands for me to run, I had a couple things to do for Kelly's birthday. All that was accomplished before the birthday dinner at Malone's. I think Kelly enjoyed her day and the evening.

I had time while mowing to renew my acquaintance with On Being With Krista Tippett. I listened to a podcast entitled, "The True Hard Work of Love and Relationships." Ms. Tippett interviewed Allain de Botton who has written extensively on love and the nature of relationships. I highly recommend this podcast.

One of the things I appreciate about listening to podcasts is that they cause me to think about myself and my views. They cause me to examine, to test, to distill my thoughts on subjects. This is not easy work if one is being honest with one's self. There are places within each of us that are unrefined, perhaps even ignorant but that we accept as normative. When challenged by other thoughts we are sometimes asked to confront idiosyncrasies, faults, weak spots or stubborn places within ourselves. Such challenge is healthy if we are to grow each day -- and for me, growing a bit each day is important. That is especially true since, in my self-estimation, I am so often awkward or wrong, or too casual in my ways of thinking and being. Self-challenge of my standard ways of being is a pathway to growth for me. Podcasts engage me in that process. Sometimes they are enjoyable, and sometimes, like listening to The True Hard Work of Love and Relationships, I am forced to take breaks in listening because I see my shortcomings and must rest a bit.

I encourage you to take a listen to On Being with Krista Tippett.

One of the reasons that listening to a podcast on Love and Relationships is important it seems to me, is that our society does not operate on a basis of love. We are divisive. We are dismissive. We are sometimes mean. Politics has devolved to the point where Steve Bannon has produced a new movie to be released on September 9 entitled, "Trump @ war." Until all Democrats are Republicans -- to this man -- the war is on. All non-Republicans must be vanquished; extinguished, since the tool of war is death and casualties. Where is the love in that? Where is the hard work of relationship? Where is the Jesus in seeing the other as enemy and wanting to destroy them?

I urge you to consider this: For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him may not perish but may have eternal life. Indeed, God did not send the Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him. 

The hard work of Love. Sacrifice. Giving. The best interest of the beloved. Think on these things.

Peace and Love,
Jerry

No comments:

Post a Comment