Saturday, August 25, 2018

Sabbatical -- Day 60: Layby Day

August 24

Sometimes when you sail over a long distance and your journey lasts weeks or months or years, the wind; the weather; the waves or some combination of the three are against you. On such days the ship stays in port. Tasks are done around the ship to keep it tidy and to keep the crew active, but otherwise there is no travel, no journey progress. They call this a layby day. Friday was basically a layby day for me.

I ventured out about noon to wash the Tahoe from its mud event at Hook's last Sunday. I went to the new car wash at Northland Shopping Center. I had heard it was a good car wash. For $16 I got a lot of colorful soap, a bunch of hangy-down towels, some rotating whirly robo cleaners and a wind dry that threatened to blow the windshield wipers into Bourbon County. It was pretty good, but the mud from Hook's proved to be tougher than what the car wash had to offer. The wheel wells and tires still looked perfectly undone by the muddy residue.

It being Friday it's a Malone's day. We sat at the bar as usual. Met a nice couple who sat next to us and wanted to chat us up. I ate almost a pound of buffalo wings. I couldn't quite finish what was put before me. Sorry, Mom. Just couldn't. And I hate food waste. There are plenty of people who come to the church asking for food. Plenty of people who need a better meal. I hate wasting food, but I couldn't finish my meal.

While at Malone's I talked Kelly into going to the UK Men's Soccer match with me. I needed to go to pick up the scarf season ticket holder's receive so that it could be given to Dallas. Nice scarf. Nice night. Nice match. UK defeated Depaul 1-0.



Not quite a layby day, but close. It felt good to not have to do anything on anyone else's schedule but my own.

Peace and Love,
Jerry

No comments:

Post a Comment