Sunday, August 12, 2018

Sabbatical -- Day 47: Ellipses

August 11

Electrons move about a nucleus in an elliptical pattern. Sometimes closer to the center. Sometimes further from the center -- but always attached (barring nuclear fission). That seems an apt metaphor for the sabbatical as it regards me and the church. Yesterday I re-engaged with the congregation as we memorialized Henry Lee Rosenthal Jr. -- a truly wonderful and unique man. I participated in the funeral service led by Pastor Alvin Farris. It says a lot about Bussie that he made Pastor Farris promise to eulogize him.

After burial we went back to the church for the bereavement meal. Our kitchen, bereavement, homebound food ministry is off-the-charts amazing -- and it's not just the women of the church who do it (shoutout, Ray Rush). Churches generally do food well -- but the food ministry at FCC is hospitality, compassion, ministry and more combined. It is truly one of the best things the church does. It is something the church does without my leadership in any way. Yesterday was no exception. Well, except for the alarm on the door. Unlocking the door. And I turned on the air conditioner in the fairly hot fellowship hall, and I got the slide show working on the projector and the screen. Other than that, they didn't need me at all.

Ellipses. Sometimes nearer. Sometimes further.

It was good to see everyone. I have been at the church for 7+ years. I love the people there. I miss them. They make me smile. They make me happy. I love the people at our church, and I miss them. I am enjoying the time away. Yes. Very much. And yet, it will be good to be fully back.

Our heart is with you, Pat Rosenthal, Lee, Melissa and families. We are happy to have been of help and we hope we can be of more help in the days to come.

Thanks, FCC for this time away and thanks for being you. I will see you soon.

Peace and Love,
Jerry

No comments:

Post a Comment