Saturday, August 25, 2018

Sabbatical -- Day 61: PCBWY Asbury Worship Collective and Laura Elizabeth Griffith

August 25

Saturday mornings are often filled with English Premier League games on the television with coffee, bacon and eggs. That happened today.

Just before noon I went out to have a long chat with the needy grass that was signaling it must be cut before we leave town. I went to WalMart and bought some oil, filled up the mower and off I went. After subduing the grass I tackled the weeds in the front flower beds. I pulled. I clipped. I yanked. I weeded and pruned and tried to make the front of the house look a bit tidier while we are gone. Then I got out the string trimmer and went after the grass in the cracks in the driveway, the sidewalk, the planters, around the trees, lamp post, mailbox. String trimming like a man on a mission. With 3 acres there is always plenty to do -- and of course the fence is starting to fuss at me that I haven't completed that project. Won't be done before the end of sabbatical. But, it will be done.

Late afternoon Kelly and I went to Marikka's Bier Stube. Her friends from Dixie Elementary and Crawford Middle Schools were gathering there. Henry Clay High School is having a reunion event this weekend and this event was somewhat tied to that. Kids that went to Crawford back in the day split between Henry Clay and Bryan Station High School. Kelly went to Bryan Station.



I wanted to see the new Marikka's. It's impressive. Indoor and outdoor volleyball courts. Lots of darts. Pool tables. Air hockey and about 20 large screen televisions. They also still have an outrageous selection of beers and a very good stock of bourbon. Though I really didn't know anyone there I was entertained with a Scottish beer which was a Wee Heavy, and lots of sports on television.



Back home there were still some preparations to make for our departure to Canada. I am looking forward to the trip, having never been to Canada but having grown up hearing so much about it. And since my all-time-favorite rock band hails from Canada I have really wanted to get to Toronto.

I have always loved the Canadian national anthem. It is much more easily sung than the Star Spangled Banner, but I also love the Canadian anthem for its lyrics:


O Canada!
Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all of us command.
With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!
From far and wide,
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.
God keep our land glorious and free!
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.


Again, I want to say a big thank you to First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in Winchester for giving me a sabbatical, and for these extra few days to make this one more trek. 

Tomorrow morning Laura Elizabeth Griffith, a child of the church and senior at Asbury University, will bring the Asbury Worship Collective to lead worship at FCC. Laura is gifted with perfect pitch, an attenuation to the Holy Spirit, a heavenly voice, and a heart for God. She is, and will be, a gift to the whole Church. She is also a gift to our congregation. May the Spirit of Christ be within you tomorrow, Laura Elizabeth.

FCC's Own, Laura Elizabeth Griffith

Asbury Worship Collective
 The Asbury Worship Collective has a new album out and available on iTunes. You can download it here: The Journey: Asbury Worship Collective.

Peace and Love,
Jerry


No comments:

Post a Comment