Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Sabbatical -- Day 14, AM Edition

When I first contacted my sister, Melissa, about coming to the States to see Mom and Dad she was hesitant. "Won't it be hard on them to say goodbye?" My response months ago was, yes, but seeing you again will make a huge difference to them. It's worth it.

This morning that is playing out as Melissa is headed to Norway. Mom is in tears. Dad will be when Melissa walks through security. (He and Mom decided this morning Dad should take Melissa to the airport.) It's a difficult morning.

Mom won't likely see Melissa again. Maybe Dad won't either. It's difficult to know.

We all come face to face with our mortality at some point. More often than not we have to say goodbye to our parents. I have walked that path with a thousand families since I was ordained in 1984. I am familiar with its contours. I have seen the anguish along the way. The pathway is just a little ways further for me and my siblings. Like so many of you who I have walked with, we will be sad, but we will persevere. Moms and Dads can mean so much to us.

For now let me channel Graham Johns. "This is the day the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it." It's a difficult morning, but one I am grateful to be experiencing.

Farewell, baby sister. Travel well. Come and visit us again, and make a place for us to come and see you and Jon Olav.



Peace and Love,
Jerry

No comments:

Post a Comment