Monday, July 2, 2018

Sabbatical Suspended -- In Memory of Graham Francis Johns III

I got up this morning and began to work on the Memorial Service, the Celebration of Life, for Graham. Such a unique and special man. I got it all done except the most important part -- the Meditation. I will have to get up and write it early in the morning because as soon as I finish this post I am going to sleep. Weary from the day.

I had thought I might get to mow. Nope. Too many logistics to cover today. Sarah Glenn agreed to accompany the service. The bulletin was finalized. Details fell into place.

I was able to watch a little Brazil v El Tri while I ate leftover pizza. Showered and got ready to go to the church. It was pouring outside. The left front tire on the Tahoe was flat. Dallas left it running on fumes. In the rain I got air in the tire. Sweaty and drenched I stopped for gas then headed to church.

It was a strange feeling going to the church. I have only been away a week, but this was supposed to be a period of sabbath for me. I was supposed to be in Tulsa today with my parents. I wouldn't be anywhere else today and tomorrow. I am not upset about coming back. It was, it is the right thing to do. Graham meant so much to all of us. The suddenness of his passing has sucked the wind from our lungs. So, it was just a bit weird being there today. I was glad to see everyone. I got and gave plenty of hugs. Visitation lasted forever. Perhaps 600 people came through the line. There will be more tomorrow for the service.

There was a lot of emotion. There will be a lot of emotion. We are left speechless in some ways to explain our loss and our feelings. We believe that Graham has gained life eternal. We do. But we miss him, and there is no one like him to take his place. He held a singularly unique place in our church, in our town, in our community affairs, in the arts. You can't fill the hole his passing has created.

But, these people of my church, they are so wonderful and kind and caring. They are pulling together. The tasks are being done. The obligations being met. The welcome is extended. Hugs. Reassurance. Prayers. Support. It's all there and in significant measure. I am so happy to be their pastor.

Peace and Love,
Jerry

No comments:

Post a Comment