Sunday, July 29, 2018

Sabbatical -- Day 33: Local Knowledge

July 28

We went to breakfast at the Cove Inn this morning. A tiny little coffee shop, hole in the wall place that Mary Jane had suggested. It was time travel. When we walked in the place was packed. I'm told if we were there in the early spring we would have waited an hour to get in. The flat top had a grizzled old fellow cooking. It wouldn't have surprised me to look over and see the butt of a cigarette stuck to his lip. It was warm inside. The service was attentive to say the least. They were turning tables. I ordered bacon and a couple of pancakes which were the size of the hubcaps on my dear departed '54 Chevy. I didn't finish all my food.

From there we went to a local furniture store on North US 41 called, Scan Design. Here's their website: Scan Design. What an interesting place. Great furniture. The two gentlemen running the place had no idea but I was about to engage them in a long conversation on local knowledge. They were gracious and informative. Both men were dressed snappily and delightfully and they carried on an animated conversation with me about where to live in Naples if you're a local, where to eat, what the local politics was about and how welcoming the community was. They also dished on how great the weather was between October and May, which allowed them to live through the sauna of July.


After the furniture visit we went to 5th Avenue to look up a store Mary Jane had suggested to Kelly. Here's a link to everything 5th Avenue in Naples. Fifth Avenue. Kelly bought some jewelry. I sat in the shade on the sidewalk watching people. The amount of shapes and sizes and colors and languages of people was quite fascinating. There was an African dialect, Italian, maybe Polish, Spanish, French, German and something akin to Jersey Shore.

Then it was on to souvenir shopping. Shopping isn't easy for me, but I hung in there.

Dinner was at Kelly's Seafood Shack on the Bay. We have eaten so much that we actually shared an entree; a first ever for us.

The evening turned a bit cooler and I sat on the screened in patio for a while and watched people and cars some more. Cars. The cars here. Wow.

Peace and Love,
Jerry

No comments:

Post a Comment