Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Sabbatical -- Day 28: This Road Ends in Water

July 25

I got up early and walked the four blocks to Bad Ass Coffee on S. Third St. I was hoping to buy a bag of coffee for the coffee pot in the condo. No such luck. They had foofoo flavored coffee and not one bag of regular coffee to sell. Still, it was a good walk. I drank Maxwell House coffee that was in the condo and cringed every sip. Kelly said, "you really are a coffee snob." I own it. Yes. I am.

Kelly worked all morning and then just after noon we departed for Everglades City. I just wanted to see the Everglades. I have heard so much about them all my life. I can remember this television show from when I was a kid, "Gentle Ben." I remember this young boy and his dog on an airboat. I just wanted to say I have been there. We drove all the way down and across a causeway until the road ended in water, (with acknowledgement to Andra Moran who wrote and recorded a song entitled, "This Road Ends in Water.")


There was barely any cell signal at all but I was able to get this screen shot of where we were. So cool to end up there.

We traveled up 29 to Miles City hoping for a glance of a gator by the road or a panther. Since we were traveling through a Florida Panther preserve we could hope, right?

When we hit I-75 to travel back to Naples, Waze told us we were 1300 miles from I-75 and Winchester Rd -- home.

We ate dinner at Pincher's Crab Shack on the bay at Tin City in Naples and it was fantastic. Here's a photo of the Hot Crab and Cheese dip.


Afterward we rolled up to Vanderbilt Beach doing some sightseeing, then ended up back at the South Beach Club, feet up at the swimming pool.


Today I understood why Ray and Mary Jane come down here so often and why they deeply love this place. First, there is the family history with Mary Jane's parents, but there is also this calm that comes over you here. The pace slows. The people all speak to you. The traffic is friendlier. There is a pervasive spirit of well-being. I know that comes with privilege. I completely understand that 99% of the world's population does not get a place like this or a week like this. I am aware. I am awake.

However.....

..... A change of perspective helps one to see things differently, to see through the eyes of another. Today I completely understand why Ray and Mary Jane love this place so. And that understanding has changed me just a bit -- and reminded me to try and see things from other people's perspective. Oftentimes when talking to Mary Jane at church about needs or meetings she will say, "I am going to be in Florida." Today, I see that from a different point of view.

When I was a kid growing up in Oklahoma, believing I was descended from Native Americans, my father used to say to me, "never criticize someone until you walk a mile in their moccasins." Trying to see things through other people's eyes is empathy and understanding, it is willingness to be open to a perspective that isn't your own, may be vastly different from your own, and deeply authentic to the person who holds that perspective. It is listening to understand rather than to respond. It is seeing good in another even though they differ from you. It is a willingness to expand.

I sure hope I can carry this openness with me in the days and years ahead. Thanks again, Ray and Mary Jane.

Peace and Love,
Jerry

No comments:

Post a Comment