Thursday, July 19, 2018

Sabbatical -- Day 21; Stop! Hammock Time!

July 18 PM
Our mower, a Ferris IS 500Z broke beyond my ability to repair it today. Before you get to questioning my mechanic chops, let me say that I grew up wrenching things thanks to our family's constantly moneyless situation. Last year a hydraulic hose on the mower split and I was able to repair it. This year, there's another hydraulic leak, and I can't locate it or I'd be working on it.

The little bit of time I got to mow I spent listening to an NPR podcast called, "Hidden Brain." The episode I was listening to was called, "Creating God." Danged interesting. I will have to return to it. Here's a link to Hidden Brain

So, since I only got a portion of the yard mowed, and yeah it looks kinda funny that way, I returned to my reading projects for sabbatical. My current book is, "The Sermon Without End: A Conversational Approach to Preaching," by Ron Allen and O. Wesley Allen.


Ron Allen is Professor of Preaching and Gospels and Letters at Christian Theological Seminary in Indianpolis, IN -- and he is a preaching hero of mine. His works on homiletics speak to me deeply within my spirit and have helped encourage me along the way toward Preaching as Conversation. Preaching as Conversation was the title of my Doctoral Thesis, with much thanks to Ron Allen.

O. Wesley Allen, Jr. is one of the most prolific writers on Preaching as Conversation, a very nice person, and an intellectual powerhouse. He is Lois Craddock Perkins Professor of Preaching at Perkins School of Theology, Southern Methodist University in Dallas, TX. He was for a time the Professor of Homiletics at Lexington Theological Seminary, and while I was in the doctoral program at Phillips, Wes was kind enough to spend a day with me talking about Conversational Preaching. I will not forget his kindness.

The book begins with a history and analysis of Christian Apologetic Preaching by placing different theological traditions in neighborhoods. From an apartment complex to a gated community the Allens delineate historical and current theological understandings of Christian Apologetic Preaching. The middle portion of the book lays out a case for Preaching as Conversation. I am ready to take on the final third of the book where they will explain what Preaching as Conversation in a postmodern world might look like.

It's not a riveting book. It's a well-researched and practically applicable book. It's academic. It's been incredibly enlightening so far as is everything I have read from Ron and Wes. I'll write more when I finish the book.

Sometimes reading makes me sleepy so I set up my Eagle Nest Outfitters Single Nest hammock yesterday and promptly climbed aboard and fell asleep. The day was a bit cooler and a bit less humid and there was a lovely breeze. Stop! Hammock Time!

We ended the day working on some projects that will help Dallas move out of the house on Friday. He's been back with us since April. Friday he will move in with 5 other architecture students. It's crazy having him home. As a young adult his presence changes the dynamic of the household. I will also hate to see him leave -- just as my parents hate it when it comes time for me to head home. Ah, but that is the ebb and flow of life. Time passes. Like Geddy Lee sings of Tom Sawyer, "he knows changes aren't permanent, but change is."

Peace and Love,
Jerry

No comments:

Post a Comment