Monday, July 2, 2018

Sabbatical -- Day 5. Wedding Sweat

Saturday. Wedding day. I worked hard on the homily. Josh and Laura are both private horn teachers. In Texas all the marching band directors require their students to take private lessons. Josh and Laura make a very nice living teaching horn. The homily is about how the Double Horn makes a good metaphor for marriage -- tailored for Laura and Josh. The Double Horn is actually a horn tuned to B flat and a horn tuned to F combined. The two horns become one. See where I was going with that?

The wedding was at 11am and it was 92 degrees in Parker, Texas at 11am. The wedding went very well. We were all thankful for the 15 mile an hour breeze until it blew Laura's veil off. not once, not twice, but three times. Everything else was great. Here's the happy couple.


The reception after the wedding was in an air conditioned barn. The menu was BBQ brisket, a Texas staple food, BBQ Turkey, Pulled Pork, creamed corn and slaw. There were also roasted whole jalapeno peppers -- and they were so good. I must have put away five bottles of water before and after the ceremony. 

Laura is very dear to me. Her parents, Charlie and Cathy Daniels, were the first couple I married after being ordained. We went to TCU together and we have been lifelong friends since then. Laura started college at TCU but transferred to Florida State to earn a degree in Music Therapy. During her final year the practicum was difficult and she turned to me to help her understand and excel in the therapy part of her practicum. We found a bond that has made her very special to me. She calls me Godfather JJ. I didn't cry during the ceremony much to everyone's surprise. I am just so happy for them.


After the reception, Kelly and I took off for Fort Worth. It was her first trip to Fort Worth. I took her to the TCU campus, the Botanical Garden, the Amon Carter and Kimbell Museums, then to Cowtown. We ate dinner at the historic and famous Joe T Garcia's, simply known to locals as Joe T's. We each had a dinner and a single margarita. They don't have a menu. We sat outside in the courtyard. Siri said it was 100 degrees. 

Afterward I took the long way back to the hotel in Plano so we could see AT&T Stadium and Globe Life Stadium in Arlington. Kelly was probably most impressed by the highway flyovers on the interstates. The High Five in Dallas is five levels of highways tall and is 12 stories tall.


It was a really good day. I got to marry my goddaughter and take Kelly to see some of what I most loved about Fort Worth.

Peace and Love,
Jerry



No comments:

Post a Comment