Saturday, July 21, 2018

Sabbatical - Day 23; Walk On Through the Storm

July 20

Short post. Power is out. Blogging with the iPhone as the source of internet when you've got one bar isn’t ideal.

I was outside on the carport when I heard a roar. The rain was already a wet blanket over the landscape. The roar grew louder and then it hit. The airport says they recorded gusts to 70 mph. It was at least that and it was sustained for a moment. I admit it scared me. I thought for a moment it was a tornado. 

When I went back outside a bit later I was packing Dallas’ things on the trailer, turned around and noticed this.

We have lived in this house since 1999 and this is the first snake I have seen. I believe it is a Gray Rat Snake (Pantherophis spiloides), but I am not certain. It was largely unconcered with me, and I was not anxious at all. I am glad the snake is around to eat all the vermin. The yard is full of moles, voles and field mice. I appreciate any help I can get in limiting their numbers.

Loaded up the trailer and moved some things in for Dallas. He will be living with 5 other architect students. Here's a photo of the house.


The power was out at Malone's, hmmmm, sounds familiar. So, they were closed. Instead of Malone's we went to Honeywood at the Summit at Fritz Farm. I have been wanting to go. I am a huge fan of Chef Ouita Michel, and she attends Midway Christian Church. Dinner was off the charts amazing.

Here's my dessert.



Back home to a dark house. No air moving. Warm. 50,000 people in Fayette County without power. Grateful for the roof over our heads, that we didn't suffer damage. May not be the best night's sleep, but that's a minor struggle compared to some.

Peace and Love,
Jerry

No comments:

Post a Comment