Thursday, July 5, 2018

Sabbatical -- Day 7, LEX - DFW, then drive north

Happy Birthday, USA. The sun awoke after I did. Was at the airport at 6:30am to check in for my flight back to DFW where my Mustang was patiently awaiting my return. There was only me in the security line when I checked in but those conscientious TSA agents really gave me the once over, and all my stuff I was carrying too. Thank goodness that LEX is small and friendly.
A little lonely at 6:30am at LEX

The flight to DFW was flawless. Pretty skies. Calm air. We arrived 20 minutes early. That's good because I was a little anxious about leaving my car in the garage with a full suitcase, golf clubs and two bottles of bourbon. No need to worry. All was well and I started the 4 1/2 drive north to Tulsa.


It wasn't too long before I crossed the Red River and into Oklahoma. I reached Mom and Dad's house just before 1pm, Central. I was greeted by my parents and my sister, Melanie and her two boys, Drew and Alex.  It wasn't long before my brother, Richard arrived and the 4th of July festivities kicked in. Here's a bunch of pictures of the fun.








Melanie's husband, David, arrived by dinner. The fireworks were great. We probably went a little far, but we just haven't all been together in years.

Then came the finale.

My sister, Melissa, landed in TUL at 10:40 pm. She left Oslo, Norway about 22 hours earlier. We have not seen Melissa in person since 2008 when our parents celebrated a 50 year anniversary. This year is 60 years of marriage for them, and we got Melissa home. All four kids together with our parents. Maybe for the last time with all of us in decent health. Who knows. But this is big. My parents cried. My sisters cried. We stayed up late. Late enough that I had been awake for 21 hours without sleep. It's good to have her home. We miss Jon Olav, her husband, whose father Hilding passed away on Friday last. But we thank him for encouraging our sister to make the trip. It makes Mom and Dad so happy to have us all here. Just good. Just very good.

Melissa arrives at TUL
Peace and Love,
Jerry

No comments:

Post a Comment